tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 17 06:46:14 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghar

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon word: ghar
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: diplomacy[]

AFAIK never used in a Klingon sentence.

Related words:

ghar  conduct diplomacy
gharwI'  diplomat (n)

  wa' vub ghaH tlhIngan gharwI''e'
  One hostage is a Klingon diplomat. (ST5 notes)

KGT 51:  Though many Klingons themselves are apt to describe the Federation's Starfleet as a type of {QI'}, this is not really an appropriate use of the term, since {QI'} refers to the military only, while the functions of Starfleet are scientific and diplomatic as well.

Trek trivia:

Future Alexander became a diplomat, a peacemaker on the Klingon Homeworld. "The cause of peace *is* an honorable one." (Worf to Future-Alexander, TNG "Firstborn")

"the only tool diplomacy has is language." (Amb. Hodin, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat." (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

"We must acknowledge once and for all that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

"Diplomats and bureaucrats may function differently, but they achieve exactly the same results." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

"Just when I was beginning to think you might find a new career as a diplomat!"
"Do not give up that hope, Doctor." (McCoy & Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

Similar words:

roj 		make peace (v)
Sutlh 	negotiate (v)
tlhong 	barter, bargain (v)