tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 08:35:47 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Tantalizingly ... puberty

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

That would be "jak'tahla", mentioned in "Star Trek: Insurrection".
Can't recall the exact pronunciation; seem to recall it was akin to *jaqtala'* or *Saqtala'*. May *jaqtala'* with a Sa'Qej accent.

If we get an audio recording, perhaps we can request a canonical spelling at some convenient time.

//Felix
From: Robyn Stewart [[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 17:21
To: tlhIngan Hol mailing list
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] Tantalizingly ... puberty

Marc told a story in which he was alerted that a producer [may not have been
the exact title] was going to call him looking for a Klingon word for
"puberty". He prepared a few alternatives, as he usually does in such cases.
When the phone call came the question was "Is there a Klingon word for
puberty."

Marc answered, "No...." preparing to then provide his suggestions, but the
producer cut him off,

"Good, because I made one up." Marc said that fortunately the producer's
word was consistent with Klingon phonology, so in my opinion Marc has
accepted that word into canon. He doesn't himself remember what it is, but
it is in one of the TNG movies, the one where they get younger. He explains
Worf calling a pimple a "gortch" by saying that Klingons are so embarrassed
by such things that  they name them in an alien language, to distance
themselves. Likewise Klingons appear to prefer naming children in other
languages, which is why character names are not consistent with ta' Hol.

- Qov