tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 08:21:34 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] qep'a' New Vocabulary

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

So far not much from Marc. We have to give him a chance to relax and enjoy
himself, not be pressured, so he'll come back.

After repeated demands from 'angghal, he produced:

SorHa' - speak figuratively

He appears to agree that this implies Sor means "speak literally," and that
this is connected to the expression "lugh: Sor rur." The pun with "sure"
appears from his reaction to be intentional.

He explained that there was a lot of redubbing to match actors' lip movement
in Star Trek Into Darkness, but claimed to not remember any of the new
words. He has notes and hopes to provide them later. He confirmed that the
clearly audible <jIyI'> from Uhura is a new verb, and that there are other
new words. He thought the actress did a very good job of pronunciation.

He was very interested in a discussion of inherently plural words, and
implied he might bring it to Maltz' attention. Discussion summarized below:

We know that negh is treated as grammatically singular in a context like
"negh yIHoH" (instead of tIHoH) or "loD HoH negh" (instead of loD luHoH
negh).

Is "they are soldiers" translated as <negh chaH> or <negh ghaH>?

"nuHmeyDaj jejmoH negh" or "nuHmeychaj jejmoH negh"?

When we count, which are correct and incorrect? "wa' mang, cha' mang, wej
mang" or "wa' mang, cha' negh, wej negh" or wa' mang, cha' mangpu', wej
mangpu'."

It has been a fantastic qep'a', a great mix of fun and learning from 8 am
betleH classes all the way through to ghem at 3 or 4 am, lots of skilled
speakers, (those of you who couldn't make it are missed, and missing out)
and some stunning beginners. One who arrived knowing nothing completely
immersed herself and competently read Little Red Riding Hood in Klingon at
the cabaret.

- Qov