tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 19 07:21:15 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qang

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, July 19, 2013
>
> Klingon word: qang
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: pour (from one container into another)
> Source: KGT (223 KE, 233 EK, 238 EK)

  latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang
  I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass. KGT

  latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
  Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! KGT

KGT 118:  This means something along the lines of "I don't believe you; maybe someone else will" or "That is irrelevant to me; maybe someone else will care." The circumstances that prompted the first usage of this saying are unknown, but the imagery is pretty straightforward, especially with the understanding that bloodwine should never be served cold. The expression is always used in this imperative form ... A sentence such as {latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang} ("I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass") would be interpreted only literally, though perhaps also as a statement about the poor quality of the beverage.

  jIHDaq Daqang
  You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me
  (lit. "You pour [something] into me")

KGT 159:  The literal meaning of the verb {qang} is "pour into" ... {jIHDaq Daqang} ("You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me"; literally, "You pour [something] into me").

KGT 99:  Usually one will pour ({qang}) the drink directly from the {bal} [jug, jar, bottle] into the {HIvje'}, but it is not considered uncivil to drink directly from the {bal} ... Some drinks are served in special containers, such as the {runpI'} ("teapot") used in the making of {Dargh} ("tea"), and are then poured into the appropriate {HIvje'}.

KGT 99:  If the particular dish is somewhat soupy ... it will arrive at the table in a large bowl ({maHpIn}) and a diner will pour its contents into a smaller bowl ({Duq}), from which he or she will consume it.

Related words:

lIch 		pour (into/onto anything) (v)
teb 		fill (v)
nIj 		leak (v)
SoD 		flood (v)
vIH 		move, be in motion (e.g. water) (v)

AFAIK we have no examples of {lIch}.  (Anything in the paq'batlh?)  Since {qang} means pour from one container into another, {lIch} is presumably used for everything else such as pouring one's drink onto the ground ("Drink not with thine enemy!"), Molor's blood pouring out into the river ("the River Skral ran red"), gasoline gushing out of a broken fuel tank, etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons