tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 10:05:11 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] {neH} after {-logh} or {ben}

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
> We know that {neH} can follow verbs or nouns. Can it follow a
> number suffixed with {-logh}?  For example, {wa'logh neH qIp}.
> This is different than {wa'logh qIp neH}, which trivialises the
> hitting. What about {ben} or other time elements, which are
> nouns? Would you understand {cha' ben neH qalegh}? Or does it
> have to be {cha' neH ben qalegh}?

Good question.  There's no evidence that {neH} can follow a number (although there's no known prohibition), let alone an adverbial.

TKD 56f.:  One word fits somewhat awkwardly into this category: {neH} "only, merely, just". Unlike the other adverbials, it follows the verb which it modifies. The semantic effect is one of trivializing the action:
  {qama' vIqIppu' neH} 	"I merely hit the prisoner."
  {Duj yIQotlh neH} 		"Just disable the ship!"
Also unlike the other adverbials, {neH} can follow a noun. In such cases, it means "only, alone".
  {yaS neH} 			"only the officer, the officer alone"
  {jonta' neH} 			"only the engine"

I can find only one example of {neH} being used with a number, and it follows the actual noun:

  wa' DoS neH yIbuS
  Focus on but one target.  TKW

Since we know that numbers can be used in sentences by themselves (i.e. not modifying a noun)...

  wa' yIHoH.  jISaHbe'.
  Kill one of them. I don't care which. ST3

... I wouldn't squawk if I saw:

  ? wa' neH yIHoH  "Kill just one (of them)." (ONLY one, not all)

vs.

  wa' yIHoH neH  "Just kill one (of them)" (e.g. without torturing him first)

It's not a number, but I also found an example of {neH} being used with one of the "quantity" qualities {pus} "be few, be several":

  veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
  Limited Edition. ("Only a few {vey} have been made.") MKE

OTOH since {ben} "years ago" *is* a noun, I don't see any grammatical objections to {cha' ben neH qalegh}.  Not only is {ben} used as a time stamp, it can also modify another noun:

  cha'vatlh ben HIq vItlhutlh
  I will drink Two Century Old Ale. PK

--
Voragh