tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 07:48:11 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Salt

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox:
>> Klingons clearly do not use condiments on their {tlhagh patat
>> 'oQqar naQHommey}. But is there a word for the {tlhIl} that[]
>> Terrans known as salt?

Klingons use sauces, marinades and condiments (although we don't have a general word for them):

KGT 97:  a cook's ever-present supply of {chanDoq} (marinade) is kept in a large {bal} (jug, jar, bottle)

KGT 93:  Some dishes are prepared by heating meat in a liquid consisting of the animal's blood along with some choice condiments. To prepare food in this way is to {Qev} it.

It's possible that instead of adding salt to their food, Klingons add sauces in various degrees of saltiness {na'} both in the kitchen and at the table instead:

KGT 100:  When the food arrives, it should be eaten as is; nothing equivalent to a saltshaker will be found on a Klingon dining table. On the other hand, if a dish comes with a sauce, it is appropriate to use as much or as little sauce as one desires.

This may be well be why they don't have a common word for "salt (crystals)" - although I'm sure Klingon chemists do.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons