tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 30 05:36:29 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'ar again

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> Yes, I would avoid {chay'} for this. Klingon {chay'} is not like English "how":
> {chay' jura'?} - "What are your orders?", literally, "How do you command us?"
> {chay' Dochvam vIlo'?} - "What do I do with this?", literally, "How do
> I use this?"
>
> For {chay' Holvam Dajatlh?}, I would expect the answer to be {nujwIj vIlo'}.

Actually, I feel those examples point precisely to the fact that {chay'} needn't mean "How is it possible that...?", but can also mean "In what manner does...?"

For example, the answer to {chay' jura'?} isn't {nujDaj vIlo'.}, but, rather, say, {yIHoH!}, or (more fully) {boHoH 'e' vIra'!}.

So, {chay' Holvam Dajatlh?} probably wouldn't be a question about how you produce a comprehensible series of sounds, but rather one with regards to your dialect, level of proficiency, etc.

So, one acceptable answer to {chay' Holvam DajatlhlaH?} would probably be {vIjatlhlaHchu'!} or {loQ jIpo'.}, but it would probably be preferable to recast the sentence with multiple sentences or clauses:

Holvam Dajatlh. chay' bIpo'?
Holvam DajatlhmeH chay' bIpo'?

...or possibly:

Holvam laHlIj yIchov!
Holvam'e' chay' bIpo'?

...or, if one feels really daring:

Holvam jatlhlaHghachlIj yIchov!
Holvam jatlhlaHghach 'ar Dachavta'?

[Somewhat off-topic regarding {chay'}: I'd argue that in many cases when "How...?" is used in English, {qatlh} would be preferable in Klingon.
"How do you know my name?" = {qatlh pongwIj DaSov?} [I'm not really interested in your cognitive processes.]
"How can you speak our language?" = {qatlh Holmaj bojatlhlaH?} [It's not your method of speech that concerns me, but the chain of events leading to your ability to speak our language.]

Usually, it'd be even better to recast those as, for example, {chay' pongwIj Daghojpu'?}, but something like {chay' pongwIj DaSov?} makes very little sense to me.]