tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 29 17:12:36 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDIch

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 16:45 '?????' 1/29/2013, you wrote:
> >{puH DujlIj 'arDIch 'oH Dochvam'e'?}
>
> How many cars have you had?
> Is this your first car?

Is this your first?  No.
Is this your second?  No.
Is this your third?  No.
Is this your fourth? ....

Hopefully they didn't have too many or this could take a while.

Either because we know English lacks the necessary construction, or because of the cooperative property of conversation, people answer this question by enumerating their past cars, unless they are being obstructionist.

How many cars have you had?  Five.
Perhaps I have had five cars over the years, but the one we are discussing was my second one. I bought three others since then and the second one has been stored away in the garage.

You might follow up with "and this is the fifth?" Or if you're really that keen to know, the mu' ru' "What numberth car is this for you?"

Wait, you're a native English speaker. Why are you asking this? I was just answering for the Japanese speaker.

If 'arDIch doesn't work, how about nuqDIch?

Someone had an insurmountable problem with 'arDIch? I missed that one.

- Qov