tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 27 09:35:55 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] We're not all all right with "alright", right? (was: 'arDIch)

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> pab quprIp ghajbe'mo' DIvI' Hol mujbej pagh, 'ach muj chovnatlh 'e'
> luHartaHvIS nuv law', chovnatlhvetlh  DajunnIS.

ghobe'. chaq vIjun 'e' lupoQ, 'ach vIjunnISbe'.

'ach De' chu' tughojmoHta'mo' Satlho'. Hol pab vIwemqang, 'ach vIwem 'e' vISov vIwemDI' vIneH.

> As J.R.R. Tolkien might have said, as a word, "alright" is uncouth.

This, I'm prepared to accept, in part because I seldom strive to be perfectly couth in my choice of words, but primarily because "uncouth" is one of my favorite words in the English language :)

> So the stories are true. There really are 'grammar police' in some parts
> of the world!

Svenska Akademien has a price on my head for unsolicited use of the Saxon genitive, inflecting gender-neutral, third-person, singular pronouns without a license, and the creation of excessively long compound words (or, as I call it, "ordsammansättningsöverflödsbrott").

meQtaH qo' 'e' bej neH luneH 'op.