tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 23 06:27:26 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Tlhingan-hol Digest, Vol 17, ghIt

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

DloraH:
>> /blade of an axe/ 'oSmo' je ghIt, chaq ghop beQ qar law'
>> ghop poS qar puS.  ghIt rur ghIt.

chaDqI':
>  DaH wa'Hu' Tlhingan-hol Digest vIlaDta'mo' [KGT p.131] vIlaDqa'.
>  'ej ghop poS 'oS 'e' vItu'laHpu'. ghop beQ 'oSba' ghIt 'e' vIghoj.
>
>  ...'ach, mu'vam vIlo'meH 'eb tu'lu'be'law'.
>
>  ?{ghItwIj vIlo'taHvIS qevpobDaj vIqIpta'.}
>  /hit with blade of an axe/ 'oS je mu'tlheghvam, chaq yajHa'lu'.

We don't have a lot of vocabulary, but _Klingon for the Galactic Traveller_ adds a few details:

KGT 63f.:  The traditional Klingon arsenal also includes the ax, an implement with a heavy, flattened blade mounted crosswise at the end of a handle. The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when referring to humanoid anatomy, mean "arm" and "open, flat hand" (as opposed to a fist), respectively, suggesting that at one time the ax was considered an extension of the warrior himself. A double-headed ax is a {jey'naS}, while an ax with an added spike at the end is a {'alngegh}. To wield or swing an ax is {Qach}.

KGT 67:  As with axes, to wield or swing a club [{jeqqIj}] is {Qach}.

We have only one example from st.klingon (Nov. 1999):

  pumDI' 'obmaQ
  when the ax falls [i.e. "by that time"]

So we can recast your sentence:

  'obmaQ vIQachtaHvIS qevpobDaj qIpta' ghIt.
  The (axe) blade struck his cheek while I wielded the axe.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons