tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 21 22:11:00 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Re: new word

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

While updating my personal dictionary I noticed that people didn't see
weQmoQnaQ the way I did. I looked at it, saw &quot;The whole ball of
wax,&quot; a somewhat dated English expression meaning&nbsp; something
between &quot;everything&quot; and &quot;a lot of complicated stuff&quot;
and didn't notice people weren't saying the same thing.<br><br>
I'm sure this is way late to the party, but just in case.<br><br>
Also Chicago's qepHom rocks big time. I've just enjoyed my second virtual
attendance.<br><br>
-Qov<br><br>
abbreviation &quot;wmn&quot;, I had to search this on Wikipedia, though,
Wireless Mesh Network:<br><br>
Well, it's remotely related. But I didn't know it either... not sure if
that's the relation.<br><br>
- André<br><br>
2012/11/19 Felix Malmenbeck

<dl>

<dd>Okay, maybe that's not it...<br>

<dd>________________________________________<br>

<dd>From: Steven Boozer

<dd>Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 16:04<br>

<dd>To:

<dd>taD:<br>

<dd>&gt;&gt; I think the main pun/gag here is that the English
abbreviation<br>

<dd>&gt;&gt; &quot;www&quot; can be translated as &quot;QQQ&quot;, if we
use the last (rather than<br>

<dd>Lieven:<br>

<dd>&gt; That was my first thought too, but the existing meaning of
the<br>

<dd>&gt; syllables<br>

<dd>&gt; kept bugging me. He could have used any syllable for
that.<br><br>

<dd>{weQmoQnaQ}: Â candle - ball - stick? Â English is my native language
but I don't get it either. Â (But maybe it's too early in the
morning!)<br><br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; Maltz said that the primitive computer systems used by<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; Terrans are very different from the superior systems
used<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; by Klingons, but there is some overlap. He was going to<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; give this more thought also, but he did say that the<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; closest thing to &quot;World Wide Web&quot; is
{weQmoQnaQ}.<br><br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; He's fuzzy about Terran computer technology and computer<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; terms, but he said that {weQmoQnaQ} is not the same
thing<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; as the Internet. Â He said, if he understands correctly,<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; you can do many more things with the Internet than just<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; dealing with the {weQmoQnaQ}. Â But he stopped there, so<br>

<dd>Â&nbsp; I'll have to bother him again to find out about these<br>

<dd>He may be talking about the World Wide Web as information net, not a
source of movies, music, email, etc.<br><br>

<dd>In Trek the Klingon Imperial Information Net is the main database of
information for the Klingon Empire, including biographical records and
the public records of the High Council. Â Shortly before her death in
2387, Ambassador K'Ehleyr was denied access to files on the Net (via a
[subspace?] interlink from the Enterprise-D) relating to the High
Council's inquiries into the Khitomer Massacre because Council Member
Duras had restricted the files to &quot;*du-ko-cha* clearance&quot; or
higher; K'Ehleyr's own clearance of *pah-doQ-cha* was insufficient to
gain access. (TNG: &quot;Reunion&quot;)<br><br>

<dd>In TNG &quot;The Icarus Factor&quot; Wesley consulted the Klingon
Cultural Database while researching the Rite of Ascension. Â This may be
a subset of the Imperial Information Net -- or it could be something
maintained by Starfleet or the Federation to avoid misunderstandings with
Klingons.<br><br>

<dd>--<br>

<dd>Voragh<br>

<dd>_______________________________________________<br>

<dd>Tlhingan-hol mailing list<br>

<dd><a href="mailto:[email protected]";>
[email protected]</a><br>

<dd>

<dd>Tlhingan-hol mailing list<br>

<dd><a href="mailto:[email protected]";>
[email protected]</a><br>

<dd>

</dl><br>