tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 17 07:53:26 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yanwI'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Relevant non-canon word: Tawi'Yan, meaning "sword-bearer": http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tawi'Yan

Not proper tlhIngan Hol, of course, but one could possibly retcon it as a no' Hol word that has been preserved through its role in rituals. *tawI['] ~ "one who brings/gets/carries"; «yan» ~ "sword"; A'B ~ "A pertaining to B" (like paq'batlh).

From: Steven Boozer [[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 16:30
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yanwI'

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 17, 2013
>
> Klingon word:   yanwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     swordfighter

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

Language notes:

KGT 61:  A swordfighter, then, would be a {yanwI'}, literally a "sword wielder"); the word for the specific type of sword may be, but need not be, included. It is thus proper to say {betleH yanwI'} ("bat'leth wielder") or {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth").

KGT 79:  in addition to saying {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth"), one could say {betleH raQ} ("He/she controls a bat'leth").

Related words:

yan             sword (n)

  chaHvaD nIb yan wIjwI' jan je
  They don't know how to distinguish a sword
   from a plough! (PB 142f.)

yan             wield, use or manipulate a sword KGT (v)

  naH jajmeywIj betleH vIyanbe'
  In my vegetable days, I did not wield a bat'leth. KGT

yan 'ISletlh    Yan-Isleth, "Brotherhood of the Sword

  Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
  You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect
   the chancellor. MKE

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons