tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 14 06:54:16 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chab

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, January 12, 2013
>
> Klingon word:   chab
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: pie, tart, dumpling; invention, innovation (slang)

"At a qep'a' a few years ago, we asked Marc Okrand about this, and he said that {chab} would work for this. The word means any baked bread or crust sort of food. So, doughnuts are {chab}, turnovers are {chab}, and pizza is {chab}. Mince pie would be {chab}. Bagels are {chab}. [...] {chab} doesn't equal bread." (SuStel)

"[*{tIr Soj}] was used at the qepHom, I don't know who, but it was some German who came up with this description. But *{tIr Soj} could also be corn flakes, or Weizenbier. It's not the word for bread either." (Lieven L. Litaer)

"While thinking about food, he added that the word for bread is {tIr ngogh}." (MO's email to Lieven L. Litaer, 11/15/2010)

KGT 21f.:  {chab chu'} (literally, "new pie") is another way to say "new invention" or "latest innovation". This is no doubt because the Krotmag pronunciation of {chab} (pie) is {cham}, the same as the word for technology.
Related words:

Related words:

'Iwchab 		blood pie (n)

  ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob