tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 28 07:27:06 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doghjey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, February 28, 2013
>
> Klingon word:   Doghjey
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     unconditional surrender

AFAIK never used in canon.

Note the apparent etymology:  {Dogh} "be foolish/silly" (v) + {jey} "defeat" (v).  Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a noun for simple, "conditional" surrender, perhaps because Klingons don't know any other kind.  See, for example:

  jeghbe' tlhInganpu'
  Klingons do not surrender. TKW

  paghlogh jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'
  a Klingon warrior surrenders zero times KGT

  not jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'
  a Klingon warrior never surrenders. KGT

  jIjegh ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
  I will surrender when spirits escape from Gre'thor. KGT

  not yIjegh!
  [Marc Okrand's common inscription on books/photos]

  "Today we conquer. If some day we are defeated, well, war has
   its fortunes good and bad." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "A Klingon may not be good at accepting defeat, but he knows
   all about taking risks." (Picard, TNG "Ethics")

Related words:

yay 		victory (n)
  yay chav   "achieve victory" (idiom)

jegh 		surrender (v)
jey  		defeat (v)
chargh  	conquer, vanquish, be victorious (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons