tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 12 07:31:01 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qa'vIn

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Klingon word: qa'vIn
Part of speech: noun
Definition: type of beverage, coffee

*kafei* in Klingonaase.

  "For example, one language may borrow (and, in the process, phonetically modify) a word for a concept it lacks, such as ... Klingon qa'vIn ("coffee"), which seems to be taken from Federation Standard caffeine." (KGT 205)

  "Okrand acknowledges that it is unclear whether this obvious cognate refers to the beverage itself, or to the prominence of caffeine in the brew,
or perhaps to both at once." (Lawrence Schoen, HQ 4.2:7)

  "When Marc gave me the word (we were chatting by phone) I immediately asked him if it was cognate for coffee or for caffeine. I could hear him smiling on the phone as he replied something like, 'Yes, that's a very good question...'" (Lawrence Schoen on ML)

  "Though not native to the Empire, Klingons have developed a way to make coffee (qa'vIn) particularly strong, both in flavor and in its effect as a stimulant, and it is a very popular beverage. As a rule, coffee is consumed plain--that is, black--but some Klingons prefer to mix other ingredients in with the coffee. If some kind of HIq (liquor) is added to the coffee, the drink is called ra'taj ... ra'taj became one of the few Klingon foods to become popular outside of the Empire, though in an altered form. Instead of containing liquor, as does the genuine Klingon ra'taj, the "export" version (which came to be pronounced raktaj in Federation Standard) consists of strong Klingon coffee plus a nutlike flavoring. Eventually, a new fashion developed--adding cream to the raktaj--and with this innovation came yet another name, raktajino, modeled after the name of another popular coffee drink, cappuccino. Raktajino is now served hot or iced, with or without extra cream, and with or without the rind of some fruit to add even more flavor. Though it is sometimes called "Klingon coffee," it is quite different from both plain qa'vIn and the alcoholic ra'taj." (KGT 95-96)

  "In fact, vut can also be used in reference to making a beverage, whether simply mixing ingredients together (such a putting cream in coffee) or starting from scratch (such as brewing ale)." (KGT 83)

  "I did see him [Maltz] earlier today as he was running off to grab a cup of coffee or something." (Okrand's email to Lieven L. Litaer, 11/20/2009)

qa'vIn HIvje'  		coffee mug/cup  (n)

  "Since certain drinks are typically associated with certain containers, saying the type of drink plus HIvje' indicates the type of cup or glass as well ... qa'vIn HIvje' ("coffee mug")... Some drinks are served in special containers, such as the runpI' ("teapot") used in the making of Dargh ("tea"), and are then poured into the appropriate HIvje'." (KGT 98f)

Related words:

pub 			boil (v)
 vut 			prepare food/drink (v)

*qa'vIn chenmoHwI'  	coffee maker, kafei dispenser (?)

Use {Qenvob} "ground-up, dried-up mixture for brewing tea" (n) for (coffee) grounds? :

  "The word Dargh refers to the beverage only. If plants or animal parts are dried and, if necessary, chopped up before being steeped in boiling water to produce Dargh, this preparation is called Qenvob. Often, however, there is no Qenvob; the tea is made by simply picking thorns, leaves, petals, or seeds off of a plant and immediately immersing them in the water." (KGT 96)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons