tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 30 07:17:47 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yuQjIjQa'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, December 30, 2013
>
> Klingon word: yuQjIjQa'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: United Federation of Planets
> Source: TKD (115 KE)

AFAIK never used in canonical sentences, where the shorter {DIvI'} "Federation" invariably appears.

{yuQjIjQa'} and its synonym {yuQjIjDIvI'} are apparently the more formal form.  The difference between the two is unclear, but *{Qa'} seems to be a bound morpheme meaning something like "(political) union" that also shows up in {qarDaSQa'} Cardassian Union (MKE), {'amerI'qa' SepjIjQa'} United States of America (TNK) and {tuqjIjQa'} United Kingdom (TNK).

On the latter, Okrand wrote to qurgh:

  Finally, for UK--You're right. I had forgotten about {wo' tay'}.
  I think, though, for the CD, we should stick with {tuqjIjQa'}.
  If someone should ask why there are two names for the same
  country, I'd say that (1) it's not impossible for one country
  to be referred to (especially in a language/culture not of that
  country) by more than one name (Holland/Netherlands, for example),
  and (2) wo' tay' is an older name -- perhaps the Klingons who
  gave it that name were thinking of the British Empire.

Related words:

DIvI' 	federation, organization, association, league (n)
boq 		alliance, block, coalition [temporary?] (n)

jIj  		be cooperative, cooperate (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons