tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 08:13:51 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mo'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, December 16, 2013
>
> Klingon word: mo'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: motive, motivation, grounds, reason, rationale (slang)
> Source: KGT

  jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS
  We must understand the enemies' motive. KGT

KGT 154:  This word literally means "cage", suggesting that one's reasons for accomplishing a particular act are somehow restrictive or confining, as if preventing escape into other forms of behavior. The slang meaning is no doubt also influenced by the noun suffix {-mo'} ("due to", as in {HeSmo'}, "due to the crime") and verb suffix {-mo'} ("because", as in {HIvmo'} ["because he/she attacks"]). The slang term {mo'} is used in sentences such as {jaghpu' mo' wIyajnIS} ("We must understand the enemies' motive"; literally, "We must understand the enemies' cage"). A close standard equivalent is {meq} ("reason")--that is, logical thinking.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons