tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 05 07:58:32 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: waH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, December 05, 2013
>
> Klingon word: waH
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: taste, try out (food), try out, test, use experimentally
> Source: KGT

st.k (7/01/97):  {waH} means "try out, use (experimentally)" and it is also the word used for "taste" in the sense of trying out food to see if it's prepared properly or to find out if you like it.

  qagh vIwaH
  I taste the *gagh*
  ("I try out the *gagh* [to see how it tastes]") st.k

KGT 86:  The verb {mum} (taste) means sense flavors. To say {Soj vImum} ("I taste the food") is to say "I perceive a flavor or flavors", not "I try out the food to see if it is prepared properly}. This latter meaning of taste is expressed by the verb {waH}, which can also be used more generally to mean "try out, test, use experimentally".

KGT 85f.:  The usual Federation Standard translations of the primary tastes (pungent, sour, salty) are a little deceptive. From the Klingon point of view, it is not accurate to say that a particular food is sour; rather, it tastes and smells sour. That is, sourness is not an intrinsic quality of the food; it is a perception, the effect the food has upon the senses of smell and taste, the Klingon sense of smell being particularly highly developed. Translations such as sour-inducing ({Soj wIb}, sour-inducing food; {na' Soj}, "The food induces saltiness") would perhaps be closer to the feeling of the Klingon, but they are a bit clumsy.

KGT 100:  Also, at the end of a meal, one should avoid picking bits of food out of one's teeth. To do so is to insult the cook by implying that the food was not well prepared and that the eater wants to get the flavors out of his mouth."

Similar words:

mum  			taste, sense flavors (v)
noS 			eat in small mouthfuls, nibble (v)
Sop  			eat, consume solid food (v)
'ep  			consume soup (v)

nID 			attempt, try (v)
chov 			assess, evaluate, test (v)