tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 24 06:27:41 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] A few questions about grammar re: adverbials, noun-like words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

nIqolay qarpatya':
>> 2) Likewise, can epithets, number words, and quantity words
>> be suffixed like regular nouns?
>>
>> Hochqoq nuja'pu' ("He told us 'everything'." i.e. "He claims
>> he told us everything but I don't believe him.")

Felix:
> Hoch and latlh are marked as nouns in TKD.
> HochHom is a standard expression, usually translated as "most"
> or "greater part". paq'batlh also gives us HochvaD and Hoch'e'.

  HochvaD pung Hutlh qul
  flames have no mercy for anyone. PB

I don't have the verse for {Hoch'e'}.

>> Thanks! I haven't read paq'batlh yet, so I didn't know if my
>> questions would be answered somewhere in there. I knew about
>> HochHom but I didn't know if that was considered just Hoch +
>> -Hom, or a more idiomatic word that couldn't be generalized.

  ... qItI'nga' Duj.  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej
    HochHom lo'lu'taH
  [The] K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the
    23rd century. S15

Also, KGT gave us {HochDIch} "allth" and {Hochlogh} "all times".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons