tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 08:51:05 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Star Trek Into Darkness

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox:
>>> How would you translate the title "Star Trek Into Darkness"
>>> without it coming out as "Star Trek In A Pickle?"
>>> Although, come to think of it ...

Voragh:
>> I see your point. Since the original isn't a complete sentence, only a
>> phrase, you might try *{Hov leng: HurghchoH/HurghlI'}
>> "turning/becoming dark" - but I can't remember unconjugated verbs
>> being used like this in a title before. If you want to avoid the
>> {Hurgh} pickle, some options are:

SuStel:
> It's not "Star Trek: Into Darkness"; it's "Star Trek Into Darkness."
> That is, it's not the Star Trek movie called "Into Darkness"; it's
> (presumably) a movie about trekking among the stars into darkness.

Then add "space" to the mix:

  logh HurghDaq Hov leng
  logh HopDaq Hov leng
  logh qIjDaq Hov leng

{loghDaq leng} "travel/trek into space" appears in SkyBox S99:

  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
   vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
  space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
  intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
  adventure into space... S99

There's no known noun for {darkness}, but the word does appear in an English translation of a {bang bom} in the script for TNG "The Dauphin" (or was it "Up the Long Ladder"?):

     "I hunt in darkness.
      The stars my guide.
      The memory of you sings in my blood.
      I seize the gift.
      Carry it to your bower.
      And lay at your feet the hearts of my enemies."

We didn't hear Worf recite it on-screen. Only one line has been translated by Okrand:

      bomDI' 'IwwIj qaqaw
      The memory of you sings in my blood (TKW 17)

... though the rest doesn't appear too difficult.  E.g.

  ? HurghtaHvIS jIwam.
  ? muDev Hovmey.
    bomDI' 'IwwIj qaqaw.
  ? nob vI'uch[choH}.
  ? pa'lIjDaq vIqeng.
  ? 'ej qam[Du']lIjDaq jagh[pu']wI' tIqDu' vIlan.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons