tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 06:51:05 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, April 07, 2013
>
> Klingon word: luq
> Part of speech: excl
> Definition: yes, okay, I will

  luq joHwI'
  Yes, my lord. ST3 & KGT

  luq, ratlh
  Okay, he remains. KCD

Scene from _Star Trek: Klingon_ (p.23f. [spelling as published]):

  Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face, [K'Tar] said, "Throw this {veQ} out."
  Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the unwanted guest.
  "{bIyem'a'!}" Vok said.
  Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok...
  "The celebration," Vok said, "was declared a {lop'no}}. You have invited the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates that all are welcome to the {lop 'no}. Even ancient rivals. Even me, K'Tar."
  "{Chut Quj}," K'Tar said.
  "{Luq ratlh}," Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok.

KGT 196f.:  Because there are two forms of the word meaning "Yes, I will" - {lu'} and {luq} - no confusion can result from mispronouncing {'} as {q}. On the other hand, if {'} is left off entirely and the word is pronounced {lu}, it may be taken to be the verb {lu}, meaning "fall (from power)", a status one probably does not want to attribute to someone in a position to give orders or grant requests.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons