tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 05 01:54:06 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] looking for Klingon corpus for training machine learning

De'vID ([email protected])

Are there any good quality Klingon texts which are available
electronically and whose copyright allows them to be used for training
a machine learning algorithm?

I'm looking for both monolingual texts and texts with English
translations. For the former, I think Qov's bologh and {nuq bop bom}
novel have it covered. (Assuming that I can get your permission to use
the text for training a computer to recognise Klingon, Qov?)

For the latter, the KLI's publications are copyright. Furthermore,
they are often not literal translations. This is a good thing for
human readers, but not so good for training a computer. Also, is the
{paq'batlh}'s text available electronically?

Has anyone:
1) trained a machine learning algorithm to identify Klingon text
(i.e., given a text in any language, tell if it's Klingon)
2) attempted to train a machine learning algorithm to translate
Klingon (however badly)?

I'm talking about machine learning/AI algorithms (neural nets and the
like) only, not rule-based systems.

Thanks.

--
De'vID