tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 03 06:18:31 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Finnish Origins Traced Back to Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:
>> Hmm... proto-language. *{mung Hol}? *{Hal Hol} (I like the
>> sound of this one)?

QeS:
> A priori I would have rendered it as {qempa' Hol}, but {Hal Hol}
> is nice! Given your (entirely accurate) point about multiplicity
> of reconstructions, probably an added qualifier would help -
> {HalHey Hol}.

"Ancestor language" might work, but we already have {no' Hol} "ancestors' language" which isn't that old relatively speaking:

KGT 11:  Heard far more frequently than non-Klingon languages are various archaic forms of Klingon, dating from different time periods and originating in different regions, collectively known as {no' Hol} ("ancestors' language"). The ancient forms are heard primarily, though not exclusively, in ceremonies, songs, and classical stories.

If I understand Okrand's intent, Chaucerian and Shakespearian English would be {no' Hol}.  Proto-Indo European is too remote in time.  For the sake of completeness, *{nubwI' Hol} "predecessor['s] language" is a possibility but the same caveat apply.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons