tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 15 06:54:57 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] juvmeH mu'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

To elaborate on 'ujmey:

KNOWN:
An 'uj is "roughly 35 centimeters"; I interpret this as being between 32.5 and 37.5 cm.
An 'uj'a' is exactly 9 'ujmey.
An 'uj'a' is "somewhat over three meters". This puts an absolute lower bound on the 'uj as 1/3 meters, or 33.3333333.... cm
[News 1999-02-03 - http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1999-02-03-news.txt&get=source]

So:
1/3 m < 1 'uj ≤ 37.5 m

Now, to look at some canonical examples:

HIGHLY UNSPECIFIC:
wej 'ujmey 'ab 'oy'naQ. - Painstiks are a little over one meter long. [S32]
(3 'ujmey is definitely more than one meter, since an 'uj'a' "somewhat over three meters")

SOMEWHAT SPECIFIC:

jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'  "the warrior has a length of six ujs" (about 6'10") → 1 'uj ≈ 0.3471 m
vagh 'ujmey vI'ab  "I have a length of five ujs" (about 5'8") → 1 'uj ≈ 0.3454 m
wej 'uj 'ab naQjej  "the spear has a length of three uj" (about 3'5") → 1 'uj ≈ 0.3471 m
[News 1997-10-22 - http://klingonska.org/canon/1997-10-22-news.txt ]

HIGHLY SPECIFIC:

wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj - Length: 120M
→ 1 'uj ≈ 0.3483 m
[NOTE: If you just add or subtract 0.01 'uj, you still get the same result down to the fourth decimal. As such, we can be quite certain that this is measurement is accurate down to this scale.]

loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH - Bridge Height: 16.28M
→ 1 'uj ≈ 0.3483 m

HIvtaHvIS toQDuj cha'vatlh wejmaH Soch vI' vagh chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH -
Attack Formation Height: 82.75M
→ 1 'uj ≈ 0.3483 m
[NOTE: If you just add or subtract 0.01 'uj, you still get the same result down to the fourth decimal. As such, we can be quite certain that this is measurement is accurate down to this scale.]

SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH - Landing Formation Height: 36.46M
→ 1 'uj ≈ 0.3483 m
[NOTE: If you just add or subtract 0.01 'uj, you still get the same result down to the fourth decimal. As such, we can be quite certain that this is measurement is accurate down to this scale.]

TENTATIVE CONCLUSION:

All of the most specific measurements of the 'uj indicate that it is about 0.3483 meters in length.
In fact, three examples indicate that it MUST be between 0.3482 m and 0.3484 m.

This is in line with the suggestion that it's greater than 1/3 m and about 35 cm.

TEST OF THE CONCLUSION:

We compare with the measurements in the SOMEWHAT SPECIFIC category:

6 'ujmey
CALCULATED: 6' 10.28"
PROVIDED: 6'10"
CONCLUSION: Accurate to within within half an inch.

5 'ujmey
CALCULATED: 5' 8.563"
PROVIDED: 5'8"
CONCLUSION: Accurate to within one inch. However, 5'9" would've been closer.

3 'uj
CALCULATED: 3' 5.138"
PROVIDED: 3'5"
CONCLUSION: Accurate to within one quarter of an inch.

ULTIMATE CONCLUSION:
Our previous conclusion has been re-confirmed to great accuracy.
Also, Marc shows great consistency in his use of the 'uj.