tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 02 13:00:48 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] On the word {tlho'} and its kin

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Jan 2, 2012, at 5:57 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:

I've been thinking, therefore: What if the word {tlho'} refers to something more than just uttering a ritualized set of words? What if it actually refers to repaying somebody's honorable actions, not because it is demanded of one but because one feels gratitude towards them?

I try always to keep in mind the meaning "appreciate" when I find myself wanting to use {tlho'}. If I tell someone {qatlho'} it means I appreciate him or her.

On the other hand, a quick {tlho'} from me is typically a simple substitution for "thanks", impulsively following my deeply rooted cultural imperative of ritualized politeness.

-- ghunchu'wI'