tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 27 23:29:40 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE OF SOMETHING

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jatlhpu' 'ISqu':
>    Don't speak to me of honor
>    quv HIja'chuqQo'
>    (pp 156-157)

jang De'vID, jatlh:
> I think {ja'chuq} is considered a verb on its own (it's been lexicalised),
> and isn't quite the same as {ja'} + {-chuq}.

I agree. I think that's the only way to successfully analyse this sentence.
It isn't without precedent, either (compare {lo'laH}).

Though I do wonder if ??{qechvam'e' maja'chuqchuq} "we talk to each other
about this idea" is potentially possible, or if it just sounds weird to a
Klingon ear.

jang 'ISqu', jatlh:
> So, "I will discuss this idea tomorrow" would be:
> {wa'leS qechvam jIja'chuq} or {wa'leS qechvam vIja'chuq}?

Assuming {ja'chuq} as a legal lexical unit, only the second works for me. I
can't parse {wa'leS qechvam jIja'chuq} in any meaningful way.

taH:
> I don't remember seeing that line at the qep'a' either this or last year.
> I was working with Qanqor and ghunchu'wI', and I think they would have
> commented on it had they seen it. I suppose the same goes for the people
> in the other group (Qov, QeS and pagh).

Indeedy. Though I only saw the portions from this year's qep'a', I don't
remember spotting it and I'm sure it would have stood out like a sore thumb
to at least one if not all of us.

QeS 'utlh