tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 21 06:07:38 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Inherently plural nouns and numbers

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Philip Newton <[email protected]> wrote:
> Since mentioning inherently plural nouns as possibly being similar to
> collective nouns in English, I wonder whether it's possible to use
> numbers with them, and if so, how.

I wonder that as well. It's one of the holes in our knowledge of
Klingon grammar.

I can think of only one thing that's even slightly relevant to the
question. "Always trust your instincts" is translated as {Duj
tIvoqtaH} in TKD's appendix, and "Trust your instincts" is translated
as {DujlIj yIvoq} in KGT. Apparently {Duj} can be construed as
inherently plural and thus grammatically singular, but it doesn't have
to be.

-- ghunchu'wI'