tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 07:11:26 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hovtay'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, November 09, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   Hovtay'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     star system

"Star group" was used early in Trek (e.g. "the Talos Star Group" [TOS "The Cage Pt.I" = "The Menagerie")

Cultural notes:

"There are poor planets in the Klingon systems, we must push outward if we are to survive."  (Mara, TOS "Day of the Dove")

Never used in a sentence, but this one phrase is known:

  telun Hovtay'
  the Tellun System

I.e. the star system in a border area also claimed by the Klingon Empire containing the Class-M planets Elas ({'elas}), the inner planet, and Troyius ({Doy'yuS}), the outer planet. (TOS "Elaan of Troyius")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons