tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 03 19:06:35 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Beginner Story: nuq bop bom 'ay''a' wej

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think I've been convinced by the ubiquity of the so-called error,
> including the example illustrating the rule, that it is not an error, that
> it is the way the language it.

KGT tells us that it's an error. A common error, to be sure, but still
an error. A generation from now, it might be accepted as standard
usage. :-)

> I am now convinced that lutu'lu' is a
> hypercorrection like that. I might even stop using it. At least in dialogue.

A hypercorrection is usually a misapplication of a pattern. {lutu'lu'}
is a *correct* application. I'm going to do my best to avoid making
the {puqpu' tu'lu'} error myself. I'm certainly not planning to
intentionally say it wrong. However, I won't be too upset with myself
if I mess up. As we read in KGT, it happens. A lot.

-- ghunchu'wI'