tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 15 12:40:28 2011

Re: On the interaction between different verb suffixes

Lucifuge Rofocale ([email protected])

> So, supposedly, if I were to tell you that wo'
> vItoy'qanglaH, you could supposedly interpret it as "I am
> able to be willing to serve the empire" (-laH acts on -qang,
> which acts on toy') or "I am willing to be able to serve the
> empire" (-qang acts on -laH, which acts on toy'). However,
> I'm wondering: Could one also read this as "I am able and
> willing to serve the empire" (with -qang and -laH acting on
> toy' independently)?

If you want to emphasise willingness and ability separately - "I am able to serve the Empire, and I am willing to serve the Empire" - repeat the sentence construct, separating out the suffixes, with the conjunction 'ej between them:-

wo' vItoy'qang 'ej wo' vItoy'laH

or

wo' vItoy'qang 'ej vItoy'laH

An alternative way of phrasing that could involve the je conjunction:-

wo' vItoy'qang vItoy'laH je - "I am willing to serve the Empire. Able, too."

Back to archive top level