tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 01 08:14:52 2011

KTH vIDub. JavaScript.

Christoph Pichlmann ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

A note in advance - I'm certain I screwed up several times in this text (as well as those before) - so please tell me where it's wrong.
(Although I'd prefer if you also consider the content, not just the message itself :-)

subject: KTH SeHlaw vIDubtaH: *JavaScript* lo'Qo', DaH lo'beHchoH

body:

"*JavaScript vIlo'Qo'" vIjatlh. pIj JS lo'nISbe'lu'. pIjHa' JS lI'chu'. DaH JS lIlaH'chu'. vaj, 'e' vIlo'.

KTH, PHP Qumchuq: *GZIP64* lo' Hoch. 'ach, PHP Qum *Browser*, chaq *GZIP* lo'be'. vaj, De' machmoHmeH JS vIlo'. *Huffman* mughwI' napqu'chu' vIlo'. ;-D (jIqID. 'oH

Qatlhbe'qu'.)

latlh DubwI':

ghIq machmoHmeHwI' vIqonta', KTH SeHlaw vIDublaHtaH vItlhoj.
DaH JS vIlo'. qatlh vIlo'qu'be'?
vaj, latlh DuH vIchel: "JS qIp". DaH, mu'mey rur leQ. DaqIp wa', latlh De' So'be'choH. DaqIp cha', De' So'choH.

--

Subject: I continue to improve my KTH interface. I wouldn't use JavaScript, now it can be used.

Body:

"I won't use JavaScript", I said. Often JS isn't useful. Rarely it is useful. Now it can be useful. So I'm using it.

KTH and PHP communicate via "GZIP64". However, PHP and the browser might not use GZIP. Thus, I use JS to make the data smaller. I'm using a very simple Huffman encoding.
(I kid, it's really not even that complex.)

Another improvement:
After I finished the compression, I realized I can still improve the KTH interface.
Now that I use JS, why not really make use of it?
Thus, I added another option: JS click. Now the words are like switches. You hit it once, the additional information is shown. You hit it twice, it's hidden.

---
As I said before - JS isn't necessary, but it can be useful. I just don't consider it an option until the site actually works, or I have no alternative.

Christoph

P.S: BTW, the new JS code also somewhat solves the problem of too much info text. Now you can scroll in the info-windows.

Back to archive top level