tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 30 06:45:58 2011

RE: Some things are best left untranslated.

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>> During my pedestrian commute, I pass a boxcar that someone has spray painted,
>> "Tonight, the streets are ours!" It's got deixis written all over it.
> > While I enjoy a translation challenge, this one quickly got too ugly.

QeS 'utlh:
> For my part I'd say {veng} "city" as a replacement for "streets" (I've never
> been quite happy with using {He} as a replacement for "street"). I'd simply
> say the whole as {DaHjaj ram vengmaj 'oH vengvam'e'} "tonight, this town is
> our town".

Another option is to use the verb {DoQ} "claim (territory)":

   DaHjaj ram vengvam wIDoQ
   Tonight we claim this city.

Or, although I agree with QeS about {He} "course, route", for those who insist:

   DaHjaj ram Hevam DIDoQ
   DaHjaj ram Hemeyvam DIDoQ
   Tonight we claim these streets.

--