tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 17 14:29:02 2011

RE: chomuSHa''a'? ghorgh chomuS!? - Question about muSHa'

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

ghItlh lojmIt tI'wI' nuv,
> The word "love" is so vague, it translates poorly with ANY Klingon word.
> It's better to get specific about what you mean when translating.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Actually, this applies even to Earth languages; I've experienced it several times when doing translations between Swedish and English. If you were to ask me "What's the Swedish word for 'love' (when used as a verb)?", I'd reply "Älska. This word is used both of romantic love, family love, love between friends or when you just really like something." However, when translating English text where this word is used, I often use "gilla" or "tycka om", which are more similar in meaning to "like". There are even cases where I'd use the word "love" in English but the phrase "rätt förtjust i" ("fairly fond of") in Swedish.

There aren't any languages with a one-to-one connection between verbs; it's better to think of a word as representing a set of meanings, and of translation as the act of finding a word in another language whose set of meanings intersect that of the original word and which is appropriate to the situation at hand.
Illustration I threw together because I love Venn diagrams: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/venndialove.png/

I usually use parHa'qu' when love is used as in "like a lot", and usually translate "I love you" as bangwI'/parmaqqay'wI' SoH.

I actually don't think there necessarily needs to be a Klingon word meaning "to love romantically". One could think of love not as something one does, but as a relation to another person. In that case, having a word for "to love" seems about as necessary as having one meaning "to be the brother of" or "to be the sister of". Klingon does not appear to have any such words, yet we have no trouble expressing siblinghood. Why, then, should the lack of a word for "to love romantically" stop us from talking about romantic love?

bangwI' ghaH luwSIy'e'. - I love Lhrr'zhi.
jow'nIy' bang ghaH cha'chI''e'. - Zhon'i loves Xa'chee.

//loghaD