tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 18:10:06 2011

qep'a' De'

Lawrence M. Schoen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

It's time to make plans to attend the qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch.

As I mentioned before, this year we are moving the conference to
Reno, Nevada. We will be meeting in the days leading up to the
69th World Science Fiction convention, aka Renovation.

However, we will NOT be meeting in the Atlantis Hotel as
originally planned. While I was able to secure meeting space for
our use, it turned out that the hotel was COMPLETELY booked up,
and would not be able to accommodate any sleeping rooms for us.

Instead, the Renovation hotel liaison worked to find us an
alternate. He also managed to save us some money along the way.

To recap:

Past qep'a'mey have begun with people trickling in on a
Wednesday afternoon or evening, followed by three solid days of
activities in a hotel conference room and trips to area
restaurants (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), and on that last night
having our Klingon cabaret. Sunday morning, groggy, sometimes
hungover, we've congregated in the hotel lobby and said our
goodbyes.

This year will be a bit different.

The straggling in will occur on Saturday, August 13th, at the
Hyatt Place Reno-Tahoe Airport Hotel in Reno. We will meet in a
conference room at the Hyatt all day and night, Sunday and
Monday (this corresponds to what in the past has been the
Thursday and Friday portions).

On Tuesday morning, we will relocate to the Reno-Sparks
Convention Center and begin the final day of the qep'a' there,
starting at noon. This last day will be our Outreach Day. We are
inviting beginners, newbies, and other interested people to join
us. The focus will be on teaching the language, helping people
get into it, building bridges to existing Klingon "fan"
organizations, and sharing our love of the language with others.
Those of you who have attended one or more of the yotna'
sessions we've had in the past will remember the evening parties
where visitors were paired with grammarians in a wild frenzy of
language learning. It was glorious. I'm hoping we'll see more of
that on Tuesday. In the evening, we will have our traditional
cabaret and with luck we will have many new voices joining us in
song.

Wednesday morning, some of you will head off, returning home
just as you normally would on a Sunday morning after any of the
previous qep'a'mey. But some of you will stay on, and
participate in the World Science Fiction Convention that begins
at noon.

HOTEL

Our arrangement with Hyatt is as follows:

$139.00 per night (plus applicable taxes, currently 13%) for
Single/Double/Triple/Quad occupancy, Double Queen Beds or King
Bed.

That rate includes:
* continental breakfast daily
* Wi-Fi throughout the hotel
* use of Fitness Center
* use of indoor pool and outdoor whirlpool
* round trip airport shuttle service

Within the next few days I will post the specifics for making reservations.

The cut-off date for our room block is July 14th, but we have a
limited number of rooms and once they are gone, so is our
discounted room rate.

Those of you who are coming just for the qep'a' will likely be
reserving rooms for four nights (checking in Saturday, August
13th, and checking out the morning of Wednesday, August 17th).

Those of you are staying on for the Worldcon might instead check
out a day sooner, and move to whatever other hotel you've
selected that's more conveniently located to the convention
center (this is, in part, why we won't be starting on Tuesday
until noon). Information on these hotels can be found as part of
the Worldcon website here:
http://www.renovationsf.org/facilities.php

WEBSITE NEEDED:

I would very much like to set up an informational website with
the details of the qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch. We're trying
something very different this year, reaching out to both Klingon
fan groups and traditional Worldcon attendees.

For that purpose I have secured a domain and hosting for
http://speakklingon.info

I need someone with the skills and time to write up a basic
website with links to the main Renovation site, PayPal buttons
for qep'a' registration, and details on scheduling and hotels.
If you can build this website with me, please email or respond
to this post. The sooner we get this up and running, the sooner
we can begin.

mataHmeH maSachnIS

--
Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
author / publisher / psychologist / klingonist

Back to archive top level