tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 01 01:55:11 2010

Re: gha'tlhIq

Jeremy Silver ([email protected])

Many thanks for your improvments. I did wonder if I was using jaj correctly.

I think all those "-bogh noun 'ej -bogh" constructs of mine added complexity
and reduced clarity.

The canon in KGT p82 for describing colour has:
"*SuDqu'* ("very SuD") which would probably be described as "green"..."

I wanted to be precise in describing the hue.

This page also provided a construct for expressing a noun with two states or
qualities at the same time:
"To describe yellow tea... one must say *SuD Dargh 'ej wow* ("The tea is *SuD*
and light") or *SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh* ("The tea that is *SuD* and
light")."

I like the way you mixed the adjective and relative clause. It seems clearer
to me. I wasn't sure you could do that given the above canon.

I don't agree I meant to say the day (which is long) and the morning (which is
hot), though.

Using the yellow tea example I have *nI'bogh pem 'ej tujbogh* to describe the
day as both long and hot.

Would *tujbogh pem nI'* be clearer?

However, this long and hot day is only an allusion to the term "midsummer". Is
there a better way to describe midsummer?

I'm aware of *yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'* from the anthem, would this
construction be better?

I believe the whole relative clause acts as a noun-phrase, and thus usable in
a noun-noun construct.

e.g. *tujbogh pem nI' po*

Is this belief incorrect?

No idea if whatever the Vogon found there was slimy or not (didn't look too
closely ;). Although I like describing things as such I can get rid of the
extra descriptive here. I'm pretty sure they don't exude actual window
adhesive, that'd be far too useful.

Maybe I should go with *'IqnaH QaD*, but I still want to describe it as green.

How would you express this concept?

Would *SuDqu'bogh 'IqnaH QaD* work?

I was very unsure of the positioning of the *DochHom* phrase in relation to
the *vItu'pu'bogh*, I found myself confused by the examples in TKD and in
relating them to the sentence I was constructing. The *DochHom* is indeed what
was found.

Is there a place where relative clause examples are better explained?

I like the explicit marking of the object with 'e'. Should have thought of
that myself.

All those *-bogh*'s were getting to me. When I realised we needed another on
the verb *bop*, I decided to seek expert assistance before my brain exploded
into lumps of green putty.

Thanks,
mupwI'

Back to archive top level