tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 11:22:58 2010

RE: Except, Spite, despite, apart from

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox:
>I'm curious as to whether the word "spite" has ever been described.
>
>Along with "except," "apart from" and "in spite of / despite" applied to
>verbs and to nouns - "despite of Michael, we won the match" or "despite
>failing the bout, he earned honour by halting the fight rather than kill
>an unarmed, helpless foe half his size."
Hmm... Despite a fairly thorough search of my notes, I could find no examples of these - or similar - phrases having been translated by Okrand.  You might play around with:

  may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'.
  When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his\
  friends. [TKW]

which might also be rendered as "Although a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends."

and

  noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu' 'ej wo' choqmeH may'
   DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'.
  Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory, and ending a
   battle to save an empire is no defeat. [TKW]

to give you some ideas.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons