tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 12 07:30:31 2010

RE: A KGT pun?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS:
>We've identified the pun behind the name J'puq from KGT, but I was
>reading through it last night, and I found another suspicious name:
>Keedera, identified as the most famous composer on Qo'noS. Any ideas if
>this is a pun, and who it might be? I'm not as up on my famous composers
>ca. 1997 as I thought, because I'm drawing a blank.

It may be a pun, but it's not Okrand's.  The name comes from DS9 "By Inferno's Light" where Martok suggested adding a new line to a famous song by Keedera:  "Bashir, the healer who bound the warrior's wounds so that he could fight again."  Okrand merely referred to Keedera in KGT without providing a tlhIngan Hol spelling:

KGT 71:  From the Klingon point of view, a song is not the product of an individual's mind. It has somehow always existed and is waiting for someone (the songwriter or, more accurately, song recorder, {qonwI'}) to transcribe it ({qon}) and then present it ({much}) to others. There are a number of very well known songwriters, and it is quite an honor if one of them composes a song about one's exploits. Currently, perhaps the most respected {qonwI'} is Keedera.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level