tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 07 09:03:12 2010

RE: How Many of Them Can We Make Die!

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Well said, both of you; factual texts can quite easily be translated much of the time, but artistic ones must be interpreted.  That's also part of the excitement of such pursuits; a difficult translaiton/interpretation will often force you to probe a text for its central message.
For that same reason, it often helps if there are already some good translations into other languages available.  If so, you can examine multiple texts, see what their common denominators are, and ask yourself "Why did those who came before me choose to keep THIS particular part of the 'story' intact, and why did they replace THAT one entirely?"

...and just for the heck of it, I took a jab at the second verse.  It's a bit forced, but perhaps it can provide others with some ideas:

 yIqIm be'nI'.  yIqIm loDnI'.
 pe'vIl mayov wIra'lu'DI'.
 jachjaj 'IwlIj SuvwI' yoH.
 jachDI' jagh 'Iw wItammoH.
 nuDach may' mIS 'e' wIchaw'Qo'
 batlh ngoQ'a'maj wIbuSchu'mo'.
 maQamlaHtaHvIS maHoHtaH.
 novpu' 'ar DIHeghmoHlaH.

"Pay attention, sister!  Pay attention, brother!
When we are ordered, we charge forcefully.
May your blood scream, brave warrior.
As soon as the enemy's blood screams, we will silence it.
We won't allow the battle's confusion to distract us, [possible Anglicism...  ...and definite slang term]
because honorably we are perfectly focused on our great goal.
As long as we can stand, we kill.
How many outsiders can we make die?"

//Felix