tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 30 09:48:25 2009

RE: Translations of type 2 suffixes with -be'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Some relevant comments from Okrand you may not be aware of:

st.klingon 11/97:  Since the negative suffixes are Rovers, they follow different rules...  The Rover {-be'} comes right after whatever it is negating.  Both {Qochbe'nIS} "he/she/they need to not disagree" (that is, he/she/they need to agree) and {QochnISbe'} "he/she/they do not need to disagree" are acceptable Klingon formations. The fact that the Dictionary lists {Qochbe'} "agree" (that is, literally, "not disagree") does not mean that no suffix may precede the {-be'}.  It's in there so that someone can easily look up how to say "agree".)

Krankor asked Okrand at qep'a' loSDIch whether {-be'} can be inserted between {-taH} and {-vIS} for a suffix combination {-taHbe'vIS} (meaning something like "while discontinuously").  The answer was: "That's an interesting question."

And a few more examples:

  ghob tIvnISbe'lu'
  One need not enjoy virtue. TKW

TKW 48:  The Klingon construction {tIvnISbe'} means "does not need to enjoy";  {tIvbe'nIS} would mean "needs to not enjoy", an utterly different concept.

  ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
  [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one
   experimental ship. (untranslated)]  S33

  batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
  An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level