tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 26 17:56:10 2009

Re: Ditransitive reflexives

Tracy Canfield ([email protected])

I appreciate the grammatical advice, although I strongly disagree with you
about machine translation.
While I won't claim that the state of the art in machine translation
remotely approaches what a human translator - in the current context,
perhaps it's better to say "a living translator" - can do, I wouldn't say it
requires us to go from expression to thought.  Rather, I'd say that work in
machine translation concentrates on finding an appropriate level of analysis
for the source language that allows a process of transfer to an input that's
suitable for the target language - whether that's a morphological analysis,
a syntactic analysis, a semantic analysis, or something else - and that in
many cases, the results can be quite good.

In the case of Klingon, I would say there are, at the very least, a very
large body of sentences that can be translated by computer into good English
- large enough to make the project worthwhile.  (Handling articles like "a"
and "the", which have to be inserted, is probably going to be the biggest
stumbling block to a natural-sounding English text; dealing with aspect is
probably going to be the biggest stumbling block in analyzing the Klingon.)
So far I've been getting good results using a phrase-structure grammar with
feature unification for analysis.

I am a PhD student in computational linguistics, and this is a class project
for me - though ideally I'd like to end up with something robust enough to
be able to share with the larger Klingon linguistics community.  I won't
claim that I'm going to produce a 100% solution to the problem of machine
translation - that would be folly, given that no one has done it for _any_
language pair - but I do think that 90+% solutions are both possible and
worthwhile.

If there's some sort of gap in our knowledge of Klingon, I'm perfectly
willing to consider certain sentences as untranslatable.  What I want to
avoid is either accidentally including impermissible sentences, or (insofar
as possible) excluding permissible ones.

Back to archive top level