tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 07:45:41 2009

Re: Use of -'e' (was Re: The topic marker -'e')

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> Terrence Donnelly
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Not to open a perhaps stale can of worms, but I didn't
> think you could use {-e'}, or any other Type 5 noun suffix,
> on a subject.  I know TKD's definition of {-'e'} sort of
> conflates the notions of topic and focus, but do we have any
> canon examples of subjects with {-'e'}?
>
> Tracy provided one yesterday.
>
> The Klingon Way page 123:
> {reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'} "Always it is the brave ones who
> die."
> I believe this was spoken by Kor in "Errand of Mercy".

OK; assuming this isn't some sort of special gnomic grammar, I guess it is allowed.

> TKD also gives the (somewhat erroneous) example {lujpu'
> jIH'e'} "I
> (and only I) have failed."
>
> This is all before bringing in the many "to be" sentences
> which *all*
> have {-'e'} on the subject (barring dialectical
> variations).

I don't think it's proper to speak of "subject" or "object" with equational sentences, since they're not really verbal. I've always thought of the right-hand term as a sort of focus: {HoD ghaH yaS'e'} = 'He is the captain, that officer'.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level