tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 07:14:33 2009

Use of -'e' (was Re: The topic marker -'e')

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Sun, 11/22/09, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tracy Canfield wrote:
> > If the topic is a compound noun phrase, do both nouns
> take the -'e'
> > ending?  Or both?  Or neither?  For
> example, if you had a sentence
> > like
> >
> > taD DeSDu'Daj 'uSDu'Daj je
> >
> > and you wanted to emphasize "his arms and legs as
> opposed to anything
> > else", or anything else that you usually use -'e' for,
> is the correct
> > form
> >
> > ? taD DeSDu'Daj'e' 'uSDu'Daj'e' je
> > ?? taD DeSDu'Daj 'uSDu'Daj'e' je
> > ?? taD DeSDu'Daj'e' 'uSDu'Daj je
>
> Only the first one is correct.

Not to open a perhaps stale can of worms, but I didn't think you could use {-e'}, or any other Type 5 noun suffix, on a subject.  I know TKD's definition of {-'e'} sort of conflates the notions of topic and focus, but do we have any canon examples of subjects with {-'e'}?

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level