tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 04 15:07:22 2009

Re: Sentences as objects

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 4, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Terrence Donnelly wrote:

> I don't really understand why MO decided that reported speech would
> not be an object...

I think it's because of the line that was written "I told you,
'engines only'!"  The object is the person being spoken to.  That was
long before any thoughts of ditransitivity or indirect objects came up.

> and would not use {'e'},...

That's easy enough.  {'e'} stands for the idea presented in the
previous sentence, not the words.  It works fine for indirect
quotation, as long as the verb used can have an appropriate object.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level