tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 01 05:35:36 2009

Re: Two pronunciation questions...

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I know that, but it is used in non-IPA systems. I was just trying to
come up with an explanation for it showing up there in a supposedly
IPA context. Should have realized it was a font issue rather than an
actual apostrophe.

-marqoS

On Sunday, November 1, 2009, Michael Everson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2009, at 00:16, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
>> The ' is probably meant to represent aspiration; apostrophe is
>> commonly used for that. ÂThe [tÉ] is supposed to be strongly
>> aspirated, i.e. Â[tÉÊ], and with affricates it's also common to put
>> the aspiration indicator on the stop symbol rather than the fricative.
>
> The apostrophe is not used to indicate aspiration in the IPA.

Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level