tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 19 08:45:36 2009

Re: Klingon Anti-Virus

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 19, 2009, at 9:28 AM, [email protected] wrote:

> 2) Have you ever participated in the "Google in your language
> program"?

Yes, I have.  However, given your description of the difference
between Google and Sophos, the question doesn't seem important.

> Like Google, Sophos gave me strings of text to translate, often
> with computer code in the middle of it. Unlike Google, there was no
> way to know *exactly* how the text would be used.
> There were no noun/verb markers, and no "preview" mode to see real
> text plugged into the sentence.

Is there a reason you couldn't just ask Sophos for that information?
Without that option, I probably would simply have looked at the
English version of the software to find the proper context.

> I was also stuck with the program's bias towards English word order.
>
> For example
>
> "The scanner is"
>
> Well, presumably there's a field to be filled with "running/paused/
> etc.". But that's not how the Klingon wants to work.

This strikes me as a non-problem.  The immediately obvious solution
to the particular example here is to translate "The scanner is" as a
null string, "running" as {QaptaH HotlhwI'}, "paused" as {yevpu'
HotlhwI'}, etc.  But I do appreciate the general discontinuity
between the languages when faced with such challenges.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level