tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 30 07:48:28 2009

RE: email address?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

maHvatlh (Zrajm C Akfohg) asks:
>We have {ghogh habli' mI'} for "telephone number" (would that be
>{ghogh HablI' mI'wIj} or {ghogh HablI'wIj mI'} for "my telephone
>number"?)
Good question: "my telephone-number" vs. "my-telephone's number"?  I like the latter.

>But is there any consensus on how to say "email address"? (or ordinary
>snail mail "address" for that matter?

We've long used {Quv} on the List.  E.g. *{De'wI' Quv} "website, URL" (DloraH), *{jabbI'ID Quv} "e-mail address" (ghunchu'wI').

{Quv} "coordinates" in canon:

  QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj
  May your coordinates be free of tribbles!  (PK)

  qa'vam yuQ Quv DaghojmeH Duyma'vaD yIjatlh.
  [To learn the Genesis Planet's coordinates, speak to our agent.] (ST3 DVD case)

  jol Quv yIchegh
  Return to the transport site. (ENT "Affliction")

  "My assistant will provide... What is the correct word?"
  "Coordinates."
  (Ambassador Hodin, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

>I don't think {SoQ} is applicable here, and there is no word for "street".

You're right.  {SoQ} is a spoken address in the sense of a speech, lecture, etc.  BTW, the idiom is {SoQ Dajatlh} "you speak an address/lecture", "you deliver an address", "you make a speech":

  qama'pu'vaD SoQ Dajatlh
  you make a speech to the prisoners (st.klingon 6/97)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level