tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 17:08:06 2009

Re: Klingon IPA chart

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jun 25, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Michael Everson wrote:

> http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/tlh/klingon-ipa.pdf

"...[É] is a slang variant of [u]."  I think you might be referring
to the {qUlegh} example from KGT page 139.  The vowel being relaxed
is {a}, not {u}.  And it's not a "slang" variant, it's a lazy and
incorrect one. :)

If you wish to represent childish speech, you should include the
voiced variant of {j}, the more "k"-ish version of {q}, and the
"nyet"-like pronunciation of syllable-initial {ng}, all described on
KGT page 32.

"In Morskan dialect, [Él] is an initial and medial, and [ts] a final,
variant of [tÉ]." What do you mean by "medial"?  KGT page 22 says
that the variation depends on whether the sound is at the beginning
or end of a syllable, not of a word.  The only thing in the middle of
a Klingon syllable is a vowel.

You've ignored the untrilled "r" in the consonant cluster {rgh} at
the end of some syllables.  I mention it because your chart notes
seem to be striving for completeness of description.

I thought "h" was a fricative, not an affricate.

I'm only going to say this once:  Klingon does not have diphthongs as
distinct phonemes.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level