tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 08:14:46 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

In a message dated 6/24/2009 04:42:26 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Yet you said that the distinction is trivial, that you can read a text
> which does not make the distinction very easily. In which case, why
> bother to distinguish them, if it's more or less optional?
>
> I also do not think it is optional, which is why I think Klingon would
> benefit from a spelling reform.

If an English text with upper and lowercase is made all upper or all
lowercase, then information is lost which only *may* be partially recoverable
based on rules of English requiring certain positions and kinds of words be
capitalized.  Any nonstandard use of capitalization is lost.

The distinction between the letters <q> and <Q> is not trivial.  Recovering
them from a modified text is usually not hard, because they can be
recovered from a knowledge of Klingon.  For people who don't know Klingon, it's a
lot harder.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level