tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 21:08:05 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

In a message dated 6/23/2009 21:00:22 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> New speakers trained in any new romanization would be unable to read
> the classic texts, such as Hamlet and ghIlghameS, unless they learn
> the old romanization, which defeats the purpose of introducing the new
> system in the first place.

I doubt this would be a problem.  Lots of languages have had spelling or
other reforms, and the younger speakers don't seem to have much trouble with
reading the older forms.  There's Chinese, Russian, German, Dutch, Irish,
Spanish - just for quick examples.
It would be a difference between one era of Klingon and another, but I
don't think it would be a real obstacle, especially since no information would
be lost in the new orthography.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level