tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 14:23:14 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

In a message dated 6/23/2009 10:42:00 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I for one agree with Michael.  I don't see it at all as being an issue of
> whether or not tlhIngan Hol will survive.  There doesn't seem to be any
> question about that.  It's a problem related to legibility and data
> integrity.  When MO created the writing system, such things as auto-correcting Word
> processors and the internet weren't issues like they are now.  The
> supposition that data might get pushed through an all caps filter is not
> unreasonable.  On the contrary.  In this day and age, it's unlikely that data
> wouldn't, at some point in its life span, at least get pushed through a filter
> that would regularize the cases to English (or some other) standard.  That
> would make the text unreadable.  Add to that the issues of searchability and
> storage, I think it would be wise to look seriously at an orthography reform.

Changing normal Klingon to all upper or all lowercase does not make a text
unreadable.  Ambiguity is introduced, but it's trivial.  There are very few
words that are distinguished by "q" vs. "Q".  These are resolved by context.
 So this "problem" isn't really a problem.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level